Political leaders call for stronger gun regulation, FDA chief pushes for specialty pharmacy rules, and more.
- President Obama formed a task force to develop gun control proposals, as House Democrats demanded action on an assault weapons ban.
- A judicial decision to allow Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to set carbon standards failed to receive a vote for reconsideration.
- UBS ordered to pay the Commodities Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) $700 million for reporting violations.
- CFTC issued interim rules on swap dealers.
- The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) planned to hold public hearings on mortgage policies.
- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Commissioner Margaret Hamburg called for legislation to clarify how compounding pharmacies should be regulated.
- Google is reportedly nearing a deal with the FTC that would end a government antitrust probe.
- The state of Colorado embarked on process of regulating legalized marijuana.
- Penguin Group settled with the Department of Justice (DOJ) in the e-book pricing lawsuit. See related The Regulatory Review essay.