DOJ sues over e-book pricing, court hears cigarette label challenge, CFPB outlines mortgage rules, and more.
- The Department of Justice (DOJ) filed suit against Apple and five publishers over an alleged illegal conspiracy involving e-book price fixing. See related The Regulatory Review essay.
- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued guidance for encouraging the voluntary phase out of the use of growth-inducing antibiotics in livestock.
- A federal appeals court heard arguments considering the constitutionality of required graphic warning labels for cigarettes. See related The Regulatory Review essay.
- A federal district court heard Transocean’s claim that the U.S. Chemical Safety Board lacks authority to investigate accidents in the Gulf of Mexico offshore regions.
- Federal Reserve Chair Benjamin Bernanke said the Fed is working to address regulatory failures revealed by 2008 financial crisis.
- The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) revealed plans for a series of proposed rules imposed on the mortgage industry to increase transparency about home loans.
- Indian regulators ordered Indraprastha Gas Limited to cut drastically its tariffs for natural gas.
- The National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) launched a campaign to make sure children have the right seats for their size.